Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Nowhere Else on Earth

It was a stunning setting: the warm afternoon sun was still high above the sheer cliffs that sheltered Maria Island's Riedel Bay from wind and swell, and the incredibly turquoise waters of the Tasman Sea splashed onto the crescent of sand that stretched from our camp all the way south to the towering sea cliffs at the foot of Mt Perpendicular. As I strolled down the deserted beach, my usual anxiety at being camped on such an exposed coast was strangely abscent, and I felt a sense of overpowering contentment ...

I was alone with my beautiful and amazing life partner, in a place of staggering beauty. We had just finished a day of paddling down the spectacular east coast of Maria Island on Tasmania's East Coast - an exposed journey in a sea kayak that had taxed us both physically and mentally. Our trip had required skill, courage, and careful planning ... staying safe relied on lessons learned over a lifetime of adventures. The commitment required to get here was part of why I found this secluded spot so enchanting.

 At that moment, there was literally nowhere else on Earth I would rather be.

I have learned that moments like this are so powerful, so poignant, so moving, that they stay with me forever. In fact, I find some experiences, representing mere fleeting moments, vanishingly short in the context of my lifespan, receive unreasonably large allocations in my memory of my life. The red-point of that sport climb I thought was beyond me, success in style on that mountaineering route that had so scared me, that epic paddle to isles unknown, that remote vista so impossibly beautiful that it can't be real: these experiences never leave me. That afternoon on the Maria Isthmus will surely be one of those moments.
Sometimes life feels like a treasure hunt of euphoric moments. These activities I do and the adventures I chase are clearly pointless from any sensible perspective, but at the same time they are what fills my life with joy and provides me with a sense of purpose. There is always some scheming to be done, some training required, an objective to be worked toward. Always working towards the next big adventure.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a thinking man. Not too deep, mind you, but I do like to think about things. I carefully consider life decisions and always have a goal in mind, I enjoy figuring out how things work, I like creating new things, I like to find fault with conventional wisdom (fertile hunting there!), and resist social norms when they are silly (and sometimes just because it is fun). Consequently, it comes as somewhat of a surprise to me that virtually all of the most powerful memories of my life involve physical adventure. My adventures typically involve equal parts physical and mental challenge, but still, no cerebral accomplishments on my life's CV? I am much closer to the leading edge in my work than my play, but it is the hard-earned mountain peak that sticks with me.
Why is that? A known unknown I expect, and that is OK; it is enough to know that is the way it is. I am a compulsive goal setter, and physical adventure in wild and beautiful places really floats my boat. I can't image a life that isn't full of challenges. Otherwise, what's the point?

Carpe diem. I can't believe I am quoting something I picked up from a Hollywood movie, but nonetheless, words to live by, if, perhaps, not quite literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment